Perhaps you've seen Dr. Terry Wahl's viral Ted Talk with over 2 million views!
If you’ve ever had inflammation, an auto-immune disease, sore joints, heart-disease, asthma, high blood pressure, or if you’re just plain human, then do we have the show for you!
Today we’re interview Dr. Terry Wahls, one of the most extraordinary doctors out there. She’s come back from MS, and from a life in traditional medicine, to develop a functional medicine protocol to help us all live healthier, more energetic lives TODAY, and to come back from autoimmune disorders from MS, to Luppus, Lyme Disease, Diabetes, Chronic Fatigue, and the list goes on and on and on.
Today we’ll talk about the heart of disease, why at it’s source, it’s all cellular dysfunction, where it comes from, and most importantly, what in the world we can do about it, beginning TODAY.
That’s most important to me, that and kicking butt energetically. Jessica and I don’t have a show to run, but we want a family too, and we’re both coming back from long-term illness, her more than me. But if we admit it to ourselves, aren’t we all struggling in some way health-wise? We were never meant to be tired, achy, and old before our time, or brain-fogged at any age. And we were never meant to live on pharmaceuticals and a lifetime suppy of supplements.
So I am so excited to talk with Dr. Wahls today.
Show Notes and Topics Include:
- Ted Talk – Mind Your Mitochondria
- From Wheelchair to Walking
- Did you believe you could come back – what possessed you to look for an answer?
- History – steady decline even with aggressive treatment
- Discovered institute of functional medicine
- Redesigned life based on
- Took functional medicine plus supplement approach
- Ted Talk – 2 million views in 2011
- Getting “younger”
- All autoimmune disease is the same at it’s origin
- Immune cells are at heart of how run biology
- Asthma, IBS, krohns, ulcerative cloritis, rheumatoid arthritis, schelarderma, psoriasis, MS, lupus, type 1 diabetes, acne, artherosclerosis, schizophrenia
- Most chronic diseases that aren’t affected may be found to be auto-immune in nature
- Mold-toxicity syndrome
- Auto-immune related
- Chronic swelling in one extremity
- Damaged blood vessels, whether veins or lymph ducts leaving that limb
- Also autonomic nerves that regulate flow could be damaged
- If exposed to bold, many of us our immune cells can attack, and clear it from system.
- Some of us can’t clear them as well, cause damage to organs, rev up inflammation and if have auto-immune process make it more severe
- What’s the difference between a diagnosis and a disease?
- Difference between conventional and functional medicine approach
- Example: uses IBS
- Conventional: use immune suppressing drugs
- Different “levels” for functional medicine
- Create more health for your cells, and healthier cells make helather organs and healthier body
- Basis is wahls diet plans
- Level 1 – tons of vegetable
- e. 9 cups of veggies
- 3 cups is one plate – so 3 plates of veggies each meal
- Organic grass fed meat – though can do it as vegetarian
- Moving the body every day
- How is this diet different than standard paleo diet
- What is ketosis
- Can starve health-promoting bacteria in gut
- Ketosis 6-12 months will help starve out candida
- Make starchy vegetables raw – gut will ferment them into ketones and won’t
- Berries and fruits okay
- Limit apples, pears bananas
- What are good fats vs. bad fats
- Which to have, and which to stay away from
- No gluten
- No dairy – casein bad, but ghee may be okay.
- The 1 month test
- How do you tell if you have a leaky gut?
- Algae and Seaweed
- Sea salt vs. commercial salt
- Don’t need dairy/calcium need vitamin D and K2
- Digestive Enzymes
- Zeolite, Clays
- Can make you mineral deficient
- Important tests to get
- Don’t necessarily need tests
- Need stress-reduction techniques
- Importance of meditation for stress-reduction (mindfulness, yoga, breathing, etc.)
- Usually can tell w/in 1 month moving in right direction
- But hard to sustain because is in addiction
- Remove from the house – get family’s support
- Currently recruiting for next trial – people with recurring MS with fatigue
- Swank diet vs. Wahls diet
Dr Terry Wahls Shares How to Get & Stay Healthy or Recover from Auto-Immune Disorders & Inflammation: MS, Lupus, IBS, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Krohns, Arthritis. As Seen on Ted Talk! Health | Inspiration | Spirituality | Nutrition | Self-Help | Inspire
For more info: www.InspireNationShow.com