If you’ve ever wondered how to get fit, become an athlete, or simply enjoy something for the pure act of doing it, without the need for accomplishment, accolades, or perfection, then do we have the show for you.
Last year, right before he retired from public speaking, I had the rare opportunity to interviewed John Bingham, aka The Running Penguin on his career as a back-of-the-pack runner and running journalist on mindfulness, enjoying running for the pure joy of it, and his zen-like approach to athletics and life.
A self-proclaimed former smoker, drinker, and fat guy He’s written numerous books on the subject, including confessions from a running penguin, and would call himself an accidental athlete.
His humor and attitude toward life are incredibly contagious, and you’ll leave this interview feeling inspired, uplifted and ready to run or take on your day, whether at the front of the pack, or the back.
So have fun, enjoy this interview, and above all else, Shine Bright.
Inspire Nation Accidental Athlete Topics Include:
- No matter where we get to, we’re a winner
- How a former fat guy, smoker, drinker could be writing about running
- Became a runner’s world columnist – wrote about the FUN he was having
- How to enjoy the ride, irrespective of the pace
- Why children have a great time until told they’re not as good as someone else
- Why kids (and we should) simply play and enjoy the experience for what it is
- How to re-define success
- Finding what your best is, and pursuing that as your goal
- Zen and Motorcycle Riding
- Zen and Running – something magical about flowing along
- Setting “reasonable” expectations
- 700 miles on a motorcycle – not trying to get away from something, not trying to get away from somewhere
- Spokesperson for the back-of-the-packers, aka the Penguins
- John has helped change the face of running
- What it’s like being a back-of-the-pack runner in a marathon
- Back of the pack is where the interesting people are!
- Interesting Life Stories
- Trying to have an honest interaction with the people he’s around
- Discovering true fellowship
- What does it mean to be living in the moment?
- Circus musician and being in the moment, you can’t go back and get a bad note, just keep playing!
- What is a Warrior Penguin?
- How to bring your warrior inward vs. outward
- Definition of word equilibrium – balance between overdoing and underdoing – magic point
- What is a Runner’s High?
- Pre-Run or Pre-Event (life) Checklist!
- Letting go of your expectations
- “Journey into a healthy lifestyle” – keep that sense of wonder
- Why the not-so-great days may be better than your great days!
- Can’t separate what he’s doing from who he is – needs to be integrated into who he is
- Knowing when to say when – if you’re saying “I’m going to have a miserable day” the importance of choosing not to do it
- What to be wary of: Easy to substitute one addiction for another
- Cannot make running (or anything) one more thing we do to ourselves rather than for ourselves.
- Last words of wisdom before retiring
- Express as completely as he can the gratitude for the lifestyle he’s been able to enjoy.
- What brings John the greatest sense of inner peace?
- Learning to be present for every moment that’s happening!
For More Information visit: www.InspireNationShow.com
Be Incredible Inspired as You Discover How to Find the Pure Joy in All You Do, Even Working Out & How You Too Can Accidentally Become a Runner, Athlete or Anything You Desire!
Inspiration | Motivation | Zen | Business | Career | Spirituality | Mindfulness | Health | Fitness | Running | Happiness | Zen | Joy | Inner-Peace | Self-Help