If you’ve ever wanted to communicate better than do we have the Say What You Mean show for you!
Today I’ll be talking with Oren Jay Sofer, retreat and workshop leader on mindful communication, a member of the Spirit Rock Teacher’s Council, and the author of a beautiful new book on mindfulness and non-violent communication skills, "Say What You Mean."
And that’s just what I want to talk with him about today, about how to find your voice, speak your truth and listen deeply.
Key Points Discussed:
- What was Oren Jay Sofer’s early life like, and the trauma he experienced?
- How did he turn to India and Buddhism?
- What was Oren’s fascinating with language?
- What did Oren learn from Thich Nhat Hanh?
- What is Thich Nhat Hanh’s “right speech”?
- What is non-violent communication?
- How’d the idea to bring meditation to non-violent communication?
- What is somatic experiencing?
- Why does kindness often disappear in conversation?
- What is mindful communication?
- How does mindfulness give us back our lives?
- How do we cultivate presence?
- What can we learn from Godwin Samararatne about “where does it hurt”?
- What’s the anacronym “WAIT stand for”?
- What’s the importance of “space” in a conversation?
- What’s the important of a pause and what does that mean?
- What does kindness and compassion toward oneself mean for conversation?
- What’s the zulu greeting Sawubona mean for us?
- What’s the importance of consciously choosing our intention?
- What can we learn from Daryl Davis about his communication with the KKK?
- What’s enlightened self-interest and what’s its importance?
- What’s the importance of curiosity and care?
- What can we learn from Aikido teacher Terry Dobson about non-violent communication?
- What’s the importance of being aware of our emotions?
For free meditations, weekly tips, stories, and similar shows visit: www.InspireNationShow.com
To support the show and get even more great tools, tips, and behind-the-scenes access, visit: www.Patreon.com/InspireNation
And to follow Inspire Nation (and the lives of Michael and Jessica) on Instagram, go to www.Instagram.com/InspireNationLive
And to follow Inspire Nation on Tik Tok simply go to InspireNationShow on Tik Tok